• Nisqually tribe to stop fishing chum

• Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
 #233461  by Amx
 Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:02 am
Sounds good for that river. Now if the other indians will stop leaving the salmon carcasses on the bank after stripping the eggs...
 #233462  by fisherman92
 Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:40 pm
Its a good sign, but a drop in the bucket if you ask me. Who knows maybe they have to make up their chum loss with other salmon species.?.? I do give credit for a tribe that actually stops netting when numbers deplete so greatly.
 #233481  by Toni
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 am
What you haven't seen is the gill netting they have done for years.
 #233506  by Bay wolf
 Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:23 pm
Toni wrote:What you haven't seen is the gill netting they have done for years.

and not reporting catch numbers....

The river was never opened for Rec fishing, although Tribal fishing was taking place:

Here is a response I received from Mr. David Trout regarding my question back in Dec. on if we were going to get to fish Chum this year:

On Dec 9, 2016, at 10:38 AM, David Troutt <troutt.david@nisqually-nsn.gov> wrote:
We are seeing mixed results. The numbers are building slowly in Yelm Creek, but Muck is lower than expected. We also had a ceremonial fishery with two fishers and they only caught 64 fish when we were expecting they might catch 200. It is still early and we will know more next week. Thanks for asking and let's keep in touch. Mahalo - david
(NOTE: 2 guys netting and they were expecting to catch 200 fish!)
As we know, it never opened and if the numbers never showed, why are they JUST NOW making announcements at how they are not fishing as a show how they are saving the fish...ummmm wonder if the petition to open the meetings has anything to do with it. After all, they called the very same reporter that did the story on the petition to break the story on how they are not fishing now...
Have they continued to do their "Ceremonial Fisheries" since back in Dec. to make sure every fish got taken?
 #233555  by Amx
 Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:19 am
BAH!!!

It's called 'self censoring'...
 #233556  by Toni
 Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:21 am
Amx wrote:BAH!!!

It's called 'self censoring'...

Maybe that is what he meant? His filter should be working better.
 #233617  by Dockrenali
 Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:27 am
Maybe a drop in the bucket but either way in my opinion all it takes one person to start the wheels of change and lead by example. I hope this actually does happen only time will tell but you got to start somewhere.