2017 Humpies

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
countryboy87
Lieutenant

2017 Humpies

Post by countryboy87 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:57 am

I know i'm probably going to get hell for this post but oh well. I'm looking forward to getting out and tangling with some salmon on light gear.. The best thing about them is they are normally very willing biters on anything from jigs to bait to spoons. Just wanted to ask whats y'alls favorite way of fishing for them..

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Re: 2017 Humpies

Post by Scheindogg » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:40 am

My personal favorite is very simple. Just drifting a bead or just drifting a corky and yarn!
The leader will depend on the water clarity mainly, same goes with the size of pencil lead

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:19 am

Flys only.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:11 pm

In the salt - jigs with mini hoochie skirts

In the river - small corky, yarn, size 1 Gamakatsu Octopus hook, 2.5' - 3' leader. If it is bright out - black or dark purple corkies and matching yarn, if overcast or first light - glow corkies in orange / pearl or pink / pearl

Pinks are great fun, a great source of eggs, and if cared for properly - great little smokers.

onmygame

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:41 am

I am hoping they allow us a pink season :-({|=
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:17 am

Never targeted them but will this year, jigs will be my main go to till I learn more. Toni, let hope we have a great season!!
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:31 am

Toni wrote:I am hoping they allow us a pink season :-({|=
Why wouldn't they?

The Puyallup alone gets nearly 1 million fish returning - plenty for escapement and plenty to go around.

onmygame

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 am

Because endangered coho and chinook maybe in with them. Like last year.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:08 pm

ill be throwing alot of dick nites and jigs in clearer water in dirtier water its a bait or plugs show for me.. July needs to hurry and get here

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:50 pm

I know that Humpy years can be a lot of fun but I just wish we could all band together and not buy SALMON licenses this year as a protest to proposed fee increases, the NOF issues, the Governor trying to take away the PEOPLES voice by taking over the wildlife commission. If we don't stand up to the government soon we won't have to worry about fishing for Salmon in a few years. Just look at what has happened to this fishery the past 20 years, it just keeps dwindling. IF NOTHING CHANGES THEN NOTHING CHANGES!

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:25 pm

hewesbob wrote:I know that Humpy years can be a lot of fun but I just wish we could all band together and not buy SALMON licenses this year as a protest to proposed fee increases, the NOF issues, the Governor trying to take away the PEOPLES voice by taking over the wildlife commission. If we don't stand up to the government soon we won't have to worry about fishing for Salmon in a few years. Just look at what has happened to this fishery the past 20 years, it just keeps dwindling. IF NOTHING CHANGES THEN NOTHING CHANGES!
I dont deny that our overall fisheries are beyond extreme peril but the pinks are the exception.. since about 2001 minus one or 2 runs its been almost historic numbers for the pinks.. Least up here on the north sound rivers

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:43 pm

I like to throw dick nites above all. After that jigs and then spoons. Pinks are fun in such a way that you can experiment with them and find something that works for you

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:24 am

Couple years ago I got many pinks on a little green speckled dick nite. Caught 4 times more than people around me and got some nice little early coho on em too. 2nd choice is using cheap pink jig/squid jigs since I don't like losing expensive gear to humpies haha.

Peduncle
Angler

Post by Peduncle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:12 am

hewesbob wrote:I know that Humpy years can be a lot of fun but I just wish we could all band together and not buy SALMON licenses this year as a protest to proposed fee increases, the NOF issues, the Governor trying to take away the PEOPLES voice by taking over the wildlife commission. If we don't stand up to the government soon we won't have to worry about fishing for Salmon in a few years. Just look at what has happened to this fishery the past 20 years, it just keeps dwindling. IF NOTHING CHANGES THEN NOTHING CHANGES!

I've had a few debates with folks that hold a similar opinion. However the only part I agree on is standing up to elected officials. If we don't make an effort to harvest the tribes will legally be permitted to harvest what we didn't plus a couple few thousand secret bonus fish. And we all know they'll get far more than the public would've harvested. I have a strong feeling if the public shows less interest in fishing then WDFW will have even less interest in raising fish.

As far as humpy fishing goes I prefer floating a bright pink jig. If the water is clear enough you can watch them come and take the jig. If not a handful of them racing for it. What's not to love about lots of wild salmon?

TMBob
Petty Officer

Post by TMBob » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:59 pm

This will be my 1st season for them so I am reading all this and soaking it in. Looking to get away from the crowds after watching some Combat videos on You Tube being a rook....since I am looking to NOT keep any fish, do I go further up the rivers?

Would love to do some fishing in the sound too! I Bank Fishing and love casting.

I also am interested in going to BC to fish the Fraser and based on some videos there, seems much more relaxed.

Jmccvg29
Petty Officer

Post by Jmccvg29 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:26 pm

When does the season start for pinks down towards the nooksack??

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:16 am

august, sept..... but you stay away from my home river...... You and i may tangle, lines that is ....... lol...... im hoping for a good season here this year but far be it from me buying anything from WDFW......

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Jmccvg29 wrote:When does the season start for pinks down towards the nooksack??
July 16 it normally opens

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:44 pm

TMBob wrote:This will be my 1st season for them so I am reading all this and soaking it in. Looking to get away from the crowds after watching some Combat videos on You Tube being a rook....since I am looking to NOT keep any fish, do I go further up the rivers?

Would love to do some fishing in the sound too! I Bank Fishing and love casting.

I also am interested in going to BC to fish the Fraser and based on some videos there, seems much more relaxed.
Problem with the humpy runs is most everyone is fishing them so find a spot jump in and fish on.. Also watch what everyone is using and where theyre casting especially the people who are catching.. if you want shoot me a message i can get you set up with most info youll need

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:27 pm

I fish the Sky with a bobber and jig. When its real crowded I yell "The warden is here" and the spots open up quickly.