Along the Spokane River, best place for Tenkara fishing

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Spokane-Dude
Angler

Along the Spokane River, best place for Tenkara fishing

Post by Spokane-Dude » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:24 am

I am just starting to use a Tenkata rod for fishing after a short time (< 1 year) of regular fly fishing. I want to be able to fish from the shore with a 13' Tenkara rod/line setup.

Can someone please give me some spots that I can fish from the bank to learn how to use my new rod? Don't have waders yet, so that's the reason for the request for bank entry points. Anywhere along the Idaho border to Nine Mile Dam would be appreciated.

Thank you...

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Re: Along the Spokane River, best place for Tenkara fishing

Post by countryboy87 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:55 pm

I dont remember exactly where but east end of the valley theres a launch with a decent sized beach you could fish from.. i always went there or fished right in downtown spokane or browns addition.

Spokane-Dude
Angler

Post by Spokane-Dude » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:14 pm

countryboy87 I'll find it with the info you gave me... never been to any of the places you mentioned, but I will this year... thanks for responding...

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:00 pm

Are you looking for trout or smallmouth bass? I found a couple of spots between Flora Rd and Stateline where the smallmouth action was great. Basically anywhere where you can find a good current run and fish below it. For trout, not so sure. I did catch one in the sweeping deep corner off of the rocks at Mirabeau Park. I've also heard of some really good trout fishing below town and above the 9 mile dam.

Spokane-Dude
Angler

Post by Spokane-Dude » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Thank you... been to Mirabeau Park, didn't do well, probably 'cause I didn't know what I was doing (new rod, reel and flies I tied as a novice)... above the 9 Mile dam sounds good, by the Gun Club area... been there once, again didn't know what I was doing.. now have boots, waders and a new rod, so let's see if that changes my luck.