I think WDFW might be getting a little worried.....

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
Larry3215
Admiral

I think WDFW might be getting a little worried.....

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:41 pm

LOL!!

I shouldnt laugh, this isnt really funny, but it struck me as ironic at least. I just got the Weekender email from WDFW.

I think maybe they are getting a little worried......
WDFW WEEKENDER REPORT
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

March 2017
(Wildlife) 360-902-2515

Plenty of good reasons to renew fishing and hunting licenses soon

Several fisheries are set to open in the weeks ahead, and the year's first general hunting season isn't far behind.

With a new season of outdoor adventures about to begin, Washingtonians might want to consider purchasing 2017-18 recreational fishing and hunting licenses before current licenses expire at midnight March 31.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: I think WDFW might be getting a little worried.....

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:46 pm

They sent out a couple of those e-mails over the fall and winter. Might be thinking that people won't buy new licenses. :scratch:
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm

I think they have good reason to be worried. I plan to wait till the last second to renew and there is a strong chance I will only get freshwater this year if the salmon fshing is cut back like last year.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:28 am

Reduced Seasons should = Reduced license fee's right? I always buy all my licenses early both for fishing and Hunting, this may the first year I pass on all the extras and just buy a fresh water only and maybe a deer tag. It is sad that times have come to this measure but I buy a license to go Catch fish not be told I can't fish at all or only for a week or two. Time to reevaluate the cost vs the benefits in our house hold.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:06 am

We will be buying our freshwater fishing license at the last moment also. I have already canceled our yearly month long trip to Westport and Sekiu because of proposed higher fees and less return, that means no saltwater license, clam license or daily derby tickets for Westport Charter Assoc. I have not bought a Hunting license the past nine years because of higher fees and less opportunity. Last year WSFG told me(when I asked) that they didn't have the budget to stock trout in Eastern Washington lakes that they had stocked in the past. I just wonder when are they going to understand that they are creating their own problems.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am

hewesbob wrote:We will be buying our freshwater fishing license at the last moment also. I have already canceled our yearly month long trip to Westport and Sekiu because of proposed higher fees and less return, that means no saltwater license, clam license or daily derby tickets for Westport Charter Assoc. I have not bought a Hunting license the past nine years because of higher fees and less opportunity. Last year WSFG told me(when I asked) that they didn't have the budget to stock trout in Eastern Washington lakes that they had stocked in the past. I just wonder when are they going to understand that they are creating their own problems.
I am preparing a follow up letter to Dr. Unsworth and the Commissioners about our Lorraine Loomis letter. They did not respond at all as courtesy dictates. Hewes, would you mind if I quoted this post in my letter?

P
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 am

Any information on their new fee schedule they put out a couple/few months ago?
Tom.

Interests: living

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 am

Not at all, please do quote me. Thanks Bob

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:39 am

It is kind of a double whammy and a downward spiraling loop. It seems like WDFW and recreational stuff in general gets the short end on funding and support which means they have to cut back somewhere which leads to less people using it because it is run down, or run out, which supports the 'funders' belief that people are not using it and they should not fund it or just sell it off...
Reminds me of a work situation where they had a cafeteria that people quit going to because the food got so bad. In a meeting one of the big bosses mentioned they were thinking about closing it because nobody was using it. All it took was someone saying "Have you tried it? The food is terrible!"
He ate lunch there that day and the whole thing got redone within a month. Food was back to good and the place was busy again! Go figure!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Amx wrote:Any information on their new fee schedule they put out a couple/few months ago?
Id like to know that too. Last I heard, the fee increase was off - maybe. Then I heard it was being re-considered by some committee but I forget the details. Havent heard anything recently.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 pm

I had one of those 'duh!' moments - log into your WDFW account and you can see what the fees are. They did go up.

https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/#/login" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo went from 48.50 to 53.35
Crab went from 7.50 to 8.25
Columbia River Endorsement went from 7.50 - to 8.25
Freshwater by itself is 27.50 I dont know what it was last year.
Salt alone is 28.05
Two Pole went up to 14.30 I dont remember what it was last year.

One a plus note - all catch cards look like they are free.

Those prices are all plus any dealer fees and taxes.

I think these are not as bad as first mentioned but I cant remember for sure.....

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:46 am

Larry3215 wrote:I had one of those 'duh!' moments - log into your WDFW account and you can see what the fees are. They did go up.

https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/#/login" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo went from 48.50 to 53.35
Crab went from 7.50 to 8.25
Columbia River Endorsement went from 7.50 - to 8.25
Freshwater by itself is 27.50 I dont know what it was last year.
Salt alone is 28.05
Two Pole went up to 14.30 I dont remember what it was last year.

One a plus note - all catch cards look like they are free.

Those prices are all plus any dealer fees and taxes.

I think these are not as bad as first mentioned but I cant remember for sure.....
Some of the information I found is somewhat different than yours. The legislators haven't approved 2018 yet. https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/#/applicati ... &subTab=-1
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:41 pm

The numbers I posted included no fees. Those numbers are what you start out at when you renew on the WDFW website. The numbers on the link you posted include estimated fees.

Im assuming if you go through the entire process on the WDFW site, at least the State fees would be added in. Not sure about the dealer fees.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:08 am

Freshwater only for me and my son, unless they open a coho season in the sound. Then we'll probably pick up the saltwater license.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:15 am

Larry3215 wrote:The numbers I posted included no fees. Those numbers are what you start out at when you renew on the WDFW website. The numbers on the link you posted include estimated fees.

Im assuming if you go through the entire process on the WDFW site, at least the State fees would be added in. Not sure about the dealer fees.
I didn't know anything about estimated fees, state fees. What are they?
Buying anywhere, even online, they charge a dealers fee. Last year that was $2.50 for me.

*The link I posted is the correct prices for 2017 licenses. They are also on page 6 in the regulations.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:27 am

Its also a bit questionable why all of a sudden the tulalip tribe has started these tv ads claiming how they provide for charitable contributions and economic growth for the state of washington... Now all of a sudden they want to spend all this money on tv ads, we know the smoke and mirrors game way to well..........

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 am

dj2loud wrote:Its also a bit questionable why all of a sudden the tulalip tribe has started these tv ads claiming how they provide for charitable contributions and economic growth for the state of washington... Now all of a sudden they want to spend all this money on tv ads, we know the smoke and mirrors game way to well..........
It's a common tactic of the tribes (and others) when they start feeling the tide of public opinion swinging against them. After all, they have a very nicely paid Public relations group and stellar legal teams. I would not be surprised at all if they give up a really decent fishing season for the sports fishermen this year. After all, they are indeed masters at far range planning. Give us a good season this year, and they are betting all this pressure to open the closed meetings and transparency in our fisheries will melt away as most sport fishermen are pretty short sighted as long as they get fish...
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:11 pm

I thought about mentioning that also. Between 4 and 6PM is kinda tribal time on the TV. But the Tulalips are the only ones who indulge in what used to be called "image" advertising. TV advertising aint cheap so they obviously have $ to burn. As we've seen in politics, constant, repetitive advertising does work. Kind of a Pavlov's dog deal. The tribes have the big money. Its for sure neither us nor the WDFW has that kind of $. They prob spend more on TV advertising than they do on all those alleged good works.

dj2loud wrote:Its also a bit questionable why all of a sudden the tulalip tribe has started these tv ads claiming how they provide for charitable contributions and economic growth for the state of washington... Now all of a sudden they want to spend all this money on tv ads, we know the smoke and mirrors game way to well..........

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:28 pm

King 5 has been on the issues since the petition was started, they aren't ganna give up either!