INTEREST IN SMALL LAKE SAMMAMISH GUIDE SERVICE?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
wafisherman20
Petty Officer

INTEREST IN SMALL LAKE SAMMAMISH GUIDE SERVICE?

Post by wafisherman20 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:34 pm

hello,
I am coming to the great community of fishermen (and fisher-women) here on the site looking for some advice on potentially starting a small guide service based on Lake Sammamish and potentially venturing into some local surrounding lakes (maybe Stevens, samish, American, and Cavanaugh). Sadly, Lake Sammamish is considered federally navigable waters, so i would have to get my coast guard clearance (an Inland OUPV six pack i think), but if there is interest/ potential interest in this service, i would do so.

My boat is a 15' alumacraft cs, 2008 make with a 2014 yamaha on the back: due the limited space, all trips would be private (max 3 person). I am a college student, so trips would be offered may- july, then in december. even though i am younger, I grew up on Sammamish and have fished it my entire life. I am very comfortable on the lake and have been in two videos focused on fishing it. my game plan would be as follows:

May-june:
Lake Stevens Kokanee
Lake Samish Kokanee
Lake Sammamish Cutthroat Trout/ Panfish (when inshore)

Summer Months:
Lake Sammamish Cuttthroat trout/ panfish
-I would like to make this time of the service be focused around teaching younger kids to fish, hence the panfish trips. I envisioned a mom/dad and daughter/son trip for about 4 hours (of more if they like) , teaching the very basics about fishing and making it a lot of fun for the kids. this would probably be my main trip in the summer, other lakes upon request.

Winter:
Lake Sammamish Cutthroat Trout: this would be the main focus of winter. its a great fishery (you may have read a post from me about it).

this would be my main plan for starting the service, I sincerely appreciate everyone for taking the time to read this post and responding if you see this as feasible or as a good idea. i am aware of all the necessary steps and regulations set in place by the WDFW to become a licensed Guide, however i am still figuring out what i need to do for coast guard certification. hopefully i can figure that out soon. I will end on this note:

It is a dream of mine to have a job in the fishing industry, and the possibilities to have some sort of job (retail-magazine-guiding) are endless. guiding to me seems like a fantastic way to start a career. as a college student and in particular a business major, opening my own small business would be an amazing adventure and learning experience i can take to my career, whatever it may be. this would be one heck of an investment, but if i can justify the cost of starting this business, i may go for it.

thanks again for reading,
Wafisherman20
(Paul)

tags:
Washington Guide Sammamish Samish American NWFR Washingtonlakes trout charter guide service USCG Stevens Pine Kokanee Lake Fishing Cutthroat Trout Perch Panfish bluegill Summer Winter New Guide Service
Last edited by wafisherman20 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sideburns
Commander

Re: INTEREST IN SMALL LAKE SAMMAMISH GUIDE SERVICE?

Post by Sideburns » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Ive never paid for a guide service in my life.... Count me in.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

petdawg
Angler

Re: INTEREST IN SMALL LAKE SAMMAMISH GUIDE SERVICE?

Post by petdawg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 pm

I have used guide services before and obviously I have personally fished Lake Sammamish with you. I have taken everything you have taught me about the lake and apply that when I am fishing there now. Having fished with several guides in my lifetime all over the world you would be right at the top of the list of people I have fished with from a guide perspective. I know we fished as fishing buddies, but if those had been guided trips they would have been worth their weight in gold. I would be happy to help in any way possible to help you achieve this goal. Not sure what that would be, but I think you would be a great guide. Your ideas of working with less experienced fisherman, kids and parents is a great idea as well. I think you have the making of a good business here.

Eric