Waiting for the thaw

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dave M
Warrant Officer

Waiting for the thaw

Post by Dave M » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:18 am

I am looking forward to visiting some favorite high lakes and some new ones. From what reports I have seen most lakes above 3000ft are still iced over.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Waiting for the thaw

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:04 am

I hear ya on the alpine lakes, great times, but it will be a longer freeze this year. If you cross Snoqualmie, you will see that Keechelus is still frozen at least 60%. And that is a big *** lake, and barely at 3000'. Tons of snow still up there.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:23 pm

I saw that about 2 weeks ago at keechelus, and my favorite hike is Annette lake and it still looks completely frozen, 2 years ago we were there the last week of march and it was open water.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 am

A lot of lakes are still frozen this year when they typically should be free of ice. Cold winter....